Live life in style

April 30, 2017

MET GALA MAGIC


Tomorrow marks the first of May, which for some symbolizes absolutely nothing, but for the elite, marks the calendar day of the famous Metropolitan Museum of Art Gala. The ultimate in international affairs, this party gathers the most important artists, creators, musicians, models, and influencers in the world to celebrate the opening of a new highly edited and curated exhibition. Growing up, I always dreamed of attending this once-in-a-lifetime event, and though I am past my adolescent years, I still remain in awe of the over-the-top scene and event which takes place each year in uptown Manhattan.

This year, the designer of Comme des Gardon, Rei Kawakubo, is being honored for her wonderful contributions both to the fashion and art world and is one of only two living artists to be alive to witness his/her own honoring at the annual event. Her unique perspective of clothing and her unusual approach to design make her an optimal choice for the award. Generally, a given theme casts a shadow over the event where guests choose their attire based on this given theme, but since the event is honoring the designer herself, and she is known for her more outlandish-like collections, the crazier in attire, the better.

The Met gala remains for most a distant dream to attend, and while I can only hope for an invitation in my lifetime, each year I like to imagine the very dress I would wear while attending such an occasion. The picture above is from a Moda bridal trunk show and was the most appropriate black-tie photo-op I could find of myself in keeping with this theme. So in keeping with the "avant-garde" concept, I rounded up some of my personal favorite looks found from this year's haute-couture runway shows in Paris:

SLEEK AND SEXY

I generally shy away from all-over black, but these two looks embrace the sparkles and embellishments I just couldn't resist. Who can resist a ruffle bolero or a knit one-shoulder caftan-like creation? 

Armani Prive

Givenchy

80's GLAMOUR GIRLS

One-shoulders, hi-lo and ruffles galore were all key trends for Spring '17, but these looks took the trend to new heights. I am loving the hi-lo look with mini denim cutoffs for the Met Gala. It is one of those unexpected, but totally expected looks Joan Smalls or Kendall Jenner would wear and set a brand new street style trend. Plus, the very last Valli pink ruffled frock would send swans singing and doves flying in from Central Park. 


 Alexandre Vauthier

Alexandre Vauthier

Giambattista Valli


FLUFFY GOODNESS

I am such a sucker for a good ball gown. Call me old fashioned, but the bigger the better, and these looks are so fantastic any girl would feel all princess-like in any of these three looks. It might be because I have weddings on my mind, or it could be I just truly love anything pink with mounds of ruffles. Either way, I think I would be happy just doing dishes while wearing of any these spectacular gowns. 
Viktor & Rolf

Chanel

Giambattista Valli



SHARE:

10 comments

  1. with rei kawakubo & comme des garcons as the theme, i'm excited to see what everyone is wearing!!

    http://frheak.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such stunning looks last night! Can't wait to scroll through all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are so beautiful, loving the all the tulle and ruffles

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to seeing who will wear what each year, as it's such a creative event to be celebrated and some of the dresses literally look like wearable pieces of art. I love the dresses you've shared here as well, all so beautiful and filled with so many details! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're having a great day so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I would love to wear one of these some day:)
      X
      Samantha

      Delete
  5. Great Post! Rei is such an incredible designer. Who was your best dressed?
    I loved Rihanna and Ruth Negga

    www.stylecalling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a hard decision! I thought Ashley Graham looked amazing in her H&M gown!
      X
      Samantha

      Delete
  6. Loveee this!

    xxAmanda
    http://www.poiseinwings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Alexandre Vauthier...truly a fashionista!!! Love this post. Thanks for sharing.
    Love
    Nistha
    https://www.fashionistha.com/cold-shoulder-hashtag-sunglasses/

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig